Thursday, November 29, 2007

Okay, here goes nothing!


I have thought about putting together a blog for sometime, but for whatever reason haven't until now.
So what do I want to do with this, I'm still not sure. Possibly motivation, or connection with like minded people, or maybe I have too much time on my hands. Not quite sure.
However, what I will do is keep you up to date on my training as I get ready for various triathlons and marathons and other such events. Certainly I don't have any magic formulas or advice for doing these things so take anything I say with a grain of salt.
A little bit about me first.
I am a middle aged, happily married accountant working for a forest products company in Northern Alberta, Canada. Early in my life I started running and it has always been a big part of who I am. From high school to present day I have demonstrated some reasonable aptitude for long distance running. My personal best is 2:49:49 posted at Grandma's Marathon in Duluth, Minnesota in 1989. Since then I have run about 9 other sub-3's and lots of train wrecks as well!
My last marathon was the Royal Victoria Marathon in October 2007. Having run sub-3's in my 20's and 30's I was hoping to post my first as a 40 something. After having trained for Ironman Couer d'Alene in June I had a high level of fitness and felt this would be the year. Not to be! Although I knocked off a 1:26 half, the second half reminded me just how difficult running a marathon is and I limped in with sore feet at 3:05, respectable, but not the plan.
Now my focus is Ironman Arizona in April 2008. Should be interesting as I will not ride a mile outside until that time. My training will largely consist of treadmill runs, pool swims, and trainer riding, up to 4 hours!
Anyway now that I have my first post I will start to update you on a regular basis as I journey towards the perfect race, be it a triathlon or marathon.

No comments: