Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Plugging Away

This relaxed training mode sure has been nice. I have not been following any plan and my runs and rides have been fun again. You kind of forget sometimes how enjoyable it can be to just run without any purpose. It kind of gets you back in touch with the sensations of enjoying the warmth of the sun on your skin, or the wind in your face as opposed to focusing on technique and cadence and everything else. All the while you are still getting the fitness and mental health benefits. That being said, this time of year my running always picks up and I am noticing that I want to run fast all the time. Obviously not a good plan as I know I will inevitably end up hurt so I have to temper that somewhat.
I have been cruising the Runner's World site lately trying to decide on a marathon. It has to be in November at the earliest as I am ready, but with a couple of long runs I could put myself in 3:30 shape. As I have 2 1/2 weeks of vacation yet to use I can expand my range as to where I might want to go.
Today was another nice fall day with temperatures in the mid-teens and sunshine. The leaves have started to change and with a strong Chinook last night there was a covering of them on the trails. I managed to get out at lunch and cruised through a nice 8 1/2 mile run over varied terrain. However, just as I returned the skies opened up and we had just a wicked storm! I still had to walk back to work and I got soaked. Always nice to spend the afternoon in wet jeans!
Things have worked out well at the new house and we are getting used to town living again. As we are the only people in this new sub division we haven't had to get used to neighbours yet. I guess as people start to build and move in we can gradually "re-socialize".
Have a great day!

1 comment:

Love2Run said...

I imagine you could run a 3:30 on any day given your fitness base. How's the snow base coming along? Time for snow treads yet?