Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Older I Get The Better I Used to Be!

Have you ever heard that? A friend of mine once mentioned it in a hockey dressing room as someone was going on about their past triumphs. It is amazing what time and a faulty memory can do for your athletic prowess.
I run into this on a regular basis, usually at the pool for some reason. Someone will start asking me how many lengths I am doing or how far I am going to run. My usual answer is "I don't know, I'll see what happens." That's usually when the story starts. "Yeah, well I used to run a lot but you know, the knees gave out." If I had a dime for every time I heard that one. So now your exercise consists of bringing a bottle of water to the pool and sitting in the hot tub? And it seems to be working for you since you can no longer see your feet.!
Or the other one is "I used to work out a lot, but the doctor told me to stop." Who is this doctor and why did he tell you to stop. Were you getting in too good of shape, or was it the wrong shape. Perhaps the shape you are in now is more what he was looking for, 240 lbs and 5'7".
Unfortunately the pool was full of more than a few of these yesterday. For some reason the "resolutioners" have started later this year. Not quite sure of the reason, but I think the nicer weather has suddenly got people out and about. There had to have been 16 people in the pool and another bunch waiting on deck or in the hot tub. Now as I have mentioned before I am happy when a person decides to make a positive change in there life. That is absolutely the right thing to do. But you know what, keep the goals modest and to yourself. The old "Don't write a cheque with your mouth that your ass can't cash." would be the proper approach. I had to listen to one guy go on and on about the program he had set up and was going to follow. Six days a week, running, weights and swimming. And this all from a prone start, with a bag of Cheetos in one hand and a Coors Light in the other. C'mon man! Get real! How about I am going to limit myself to one bag of Cheetos a week and I am going to walk 15 minutes a day, and build from there. I can guarantee that I will see this guy until it either gets cold again (which it will) or until you can get 2 Teens for $6 at A&W. Point about all this is just be realistic, set achievable goals and build on them. Nothing too scientific or profound, just some common sense.
Anyway I have to go as I have a billion mile run and a 23 hour workout planned on the bike!
Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did MOBY DICK take your lane in the pool, or get the last two teen burgers!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Got to go have to finish the last million miles of my run? hahah

Love2Run said...

Yes, I get it too and it's hard for me to keep my mouth shut sometimes. I'd like to say 'Put up or shut up!' but usually just keep quiet.

Grellan said...

Good post Garry. I had a guy turn his nose down at joining a group training for their first marathon just because he had done one. Spent all his time talking about it too to anyone who would listen.