Saturday, February 14, 2009

Slow Mo' and Fast Forward

My week was a mix of good and not so good workouts. Looking in the rear view mirror at the week I am generally satisfied with how I fared. This week was a planned (kind of) cut back week as I have done 3 weeks of 11 hours plus. My goal for this week was to get around 8 1/2 which is exactly where I am sitting this morning.
The title of today's post is in reference to my Thursday and Friday runs. On Thursday I went out at lunch time for a quick tour of the trails. Over the last two weeks we have had plus temperatures so I was anticipating good footing, but I was quite wrong. The trails are still relatively sheltered from the sun and were dangerously icy. I was running rather gingerly along the pathways and there were few opportunities to open up my stride and really run. As a result I completed a 6.3 mile run in 50:30.
On Friday I had an up tempo session in mind when I got home from work. Unfortunately I had limited time so in those circumstances, the treadmill it is. I don't really do a lot of speed work, or should I say I don't do any speed work. As recently mentioned I just run, however on the treadmill a progression type run works quite well. Everything is controlled and using the proper mix of speed and incline you can give yourself a solid work out. That is what I did yesterday. I only went 5 miles, but it was at 6:24 pace with the incline set at 2%.
Overall the week went well with 4 swims, 3 rides and 4 runs with a longish ride or run planned for today.
Four weeks into the training and things are going well thus far. As usual, the cycling still needs the most attention, but I was happy to get in 3 rides this week. Hopefully the good weather continues and I can soon get outside for an occasional ride. I am also looking at seeing what running events there are in Edmonton in the next little while as I am anxious to see how I would perform in a race situation. I know there is a 10 mile race in April but I am hoping to find something a bit sooner.
On the reading front I am just about finished reading "Young Stalin". It is a very interesting book, but he was one nasty dude right from the get go!
Musically I have not found much lately that I want to add to the iPod. I did pick up a greatest hits compilation by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, but that has been it.
Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Love2Run said...

That's a great week you put in, and still alot of time on your feet/butt even for a 'cut-back'.