Tuesday, April 22, 2008

What to do next?


Now that I have come down from my post-race euphoria, it is time to think about what is next on the agenda.
IMAZ was an incredible experience and I just have to do it again. I didn’t sign up when I was there since I was unsure of whether or not it would be something I would like to do again. But now I know I would like to give it another go, possibly in November 2009.
Up next is going to be our own local triathlon in June. I am leaning towards the sprint distance just because I have never done it. Also since the swim is a pool swim I really want to spend as little time as possible in the water. It is usually a crowded swim and I just don’t like it.
Then there is an Olympic distance race in Cranbrook, BC, on June 15th. This looks like a great race and I love the area. I did a ½ Iron Man there two times already and it was a good event. The swim was a little chilly, even with a wet suit and a couple of bathing caps. But the bike ride was a beautiful course, almost to the point of being distracting. I would find myself spending time admiring the scenery instead of focusing on the ride on more then one occasion. That isn’t really a bad thing, but it is not conducive to good bike splits!
And in July I have already signed up for a ½ Iron Man in Sylvan Lake, AB which is about an hour north of Calgary. It is another good course, flat bike ride and a fairly well-shaded run. Last year I did a 5:13 there on the basis of a pretty good run split.
So I think I have enough to keep me motivated for awhile. I have recovered exceptionally from the Iron Man and have been back in the pool, on the bike and on the road.
Today I swam 1,900 metres in 40:10 and then did a 45:00 run this evening. On Sunday I did a short ride, 11.5 miles and on Saturday I ran 6.5 miles. Gradually I will get myself back into the swing of things, but nothing too drastic. My level of conditioning now leaves me pretty much "race ready" for the upcoming season and it will be a matter of tuning up for each of the scheduled events.

Have a great day!

2 comments:

Grellan said...

Great race reports and recovery seems to be going a dream, there's no stopping you.

Love2Run said...

Yeah, it sounds like you're back on track already (so soon). You will be taking it easy for a few more weeks though? I'm already eagerly looking over the RunNB schedule for the summer ;-)