Friday, June 13, 2008

This week I have started to get myself thinking a little bit more about my next event, the Sylvan Lake Half Iron Man, on July 26. I did this last year and had a PB of 5:13 and 4th in my age. The course is really nice and it is a medium sized event with about 400 participants. The swim is a one loop course in Sylvan Lake and features a water start. I like the single loop as opposed to having to make a loop get out and start again. There is something about getting out of the water and having to go again that kind of breaks your rhythm.
The bike course is not particularly interesting as it is through some pretty flat area with a few hills and not much to see other than farmland. The run, however is very nice and winds itself around the lake and through a park. It has a few decent hills but overall is pretty fast. That is with the exception of the last mile or so where you have to dodge people accessing the beach. They seem oblivious to the fact that there is a race in progress.
I think I can improve on my time from last year as I have definitely gotten to be a stronger cyclist and my swimming seems to have gotten better as well. That being said, you never know what race day brings and in dissecting last year's race I did a lot of things well that I would have to replicate. But if conditions are right and I am healthy there is certainly potential to do well.
This week I have done about 5 hours of training. Tuesday was a 6.5 mile run at lunch in about 47 minutes followed by a 50 minute, 15 mile strength workout on the bike. Wednesday was a day off and yesterday I swam and ran. My lunch time swim was 2,300 metres with the main set being 7 x 200 metre intervals. The evening run was 9.5 miles in 1:10 or an average pace of about 7:25.
On the weekend I would like to get out for a long ride but the weather has been so rainy lately and I never ride my Cervelo in the rain, that it might be on the trainer.
Have a great weekend!

No comments: