Saturday, December 22, 2007

Post Run Decision


What should it be? A tasty Kilkenny Irish Cream Ale? Cold, creamy and a big can. Or how about a nice festive treat, amaretto and egg nog. Sweet and spicy, just as cold, but a little smaller.....
Today's run was a bear to say the least. Finally decided to head outside today as I had almost 1 hour and 25 minutes to do. The weather was warm enough as it was hovering around 0 but strong, gusty winds. I decided that the trails, although snowy, would be a better choice than the roads as the woods would provide some shelter from the winds. I'm not sure that was the best choice as I seemed to face as much wind and also had to deal with the ankle deep snow. In a couple of places it was nice and still, but for the most part I seemed to be facing this wind. When I run the back woods I am always cognizant of wild life activity. There are always elk and deer tracks and well as various other signs of different animals. The winter is especially good for this as the snow reads like a book of the activity of the animals. With this region having it's share of grizzly, black bear, wolf and cougar, it is wise to be on the look out for any sign of their presence. Today I noticed a lot of wolf sign. So that obviously makes you run with heightened caution. It is shortly after noting the wolf sign that a grouse comes flying out of the woods about 3 feet off the ground and 10 feet in front of me. Needless to say what that nearly made me do!
Back to the run.....managed to rack about 11.04 miles in 1:28. Slow, but given the conditions I am relatively happy with it. When I got home my feet were soaked from having run in the deep snow. I wore my heart rate monitor today and average heart rate was 145 bpm at an 8:01 pace. Today's run climbed about 1,000 ft overall and the starting altitude was about 3,200 feet.
So what did I decide...
I went with the amaretto and egg nog seeing it is the holiday season and all. However, the Kilkenny is still in the fridge!!
Have a great day!

2 comments:

Keith power said...

Garry easy decision, have one of each? This some crazy weather for running?

Love2Run said...

I'm with Keith. Neither would last long in most Power households! Glad to see you outdoors again and keeping on your toes with the wildlife.