Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Out of the Gates Quickly!

So far it has been a good start to this week from a training perspective.
As previously mentioned I did a good 20 mile ride on Sunday. Good pace and I really am starting to feel like my cycling is getting stronger.
Monday, I did a 3,000 metre swim at lunch. It was a steady effort broken up as follows:
400 m – easy swim
500 m – drills, focus on glide, and rotation
1,600 m ladder – 100, 200, 300, 400, 300, 200, 100 with 10-15 sec rest between each swim
500 m – cool down, mixed strokes and pull buoy
The swim was a bit of a struggle as I really had to concentrate on every phase of my stroke. In general, I felt a little bit sloppy in the water. But I managed to work through it and finish the work out. Total time was 1 hour 10 minutes.
The evening was a 50 minute bike ride which focused on maintaining a high cadence through a range of gears and trainer resistance. I found a whole bunch of workouts on the Tacx website which give you the gearing, cadence, trainer resistance, duration and comments for my specific trainer, the Flow. They have them for all types of workouts, sprints, hills, recovery rides, etc. These will make a great supplement to my other training videos to help minimize the boredom and familiarity.
Once through the bike workout, it was on to the treadmill for a quick 31:00 run (4.5 miles), just to get the legs used to the transition from bike to run. The run went quickly as I was watching a DVD my son had bought me for my birthday. It is Eric Clapton’s Crossroads Guitar Festival 2007. There are some pretty amazing sets on it!
So that is a pretty good start to the week. Looks like the weather today will support an evening run so I will try and get out of work at a decent time to get that done.
Have a great day!

No comments: