Monday, January 7, 2008

Recovery Day

Sunday was a well deserved recovery day after a solid week of 10 hours and 45 minutes of activity. The body definitely needed it as my Achilles was pretty tender after my run on Saturday. Hopefully the new orthodics I picked up in the city yesterday will help alleviate the problem.

Saturday's workout was a one hour recovery run. I managed to cover 8.1 miles in the alloted time but really struggled after about the first 3 miles as the Achilles flared up and really made running with any flow difficult. However, the weather was really nice and I did a random route of roads and trails. The rest of the day was spent watching the World Junior Hockey game and then we went to Nicholas' house for a delicious dinner which he and Nicole prepared for us.

Yesterday it was time to return our girl back to school. It never gets easier to bring her back, but we have to be thankful for the great holiday we had together. So we packed up the truck and travelled the 280 kms to Edmonton to return her to residence. While there I met up with Tom from the triathlon shop I deal, with WayPastFast. He delivered me my new bike trainer as the old one has seen better days. I bought a TacX Flow, which has a motorized brake and computer to monitor heart rate, cadence, power output, speed, etc. Power output was the major new element I wanted as it is really the true measure of what you are doing on the bike.

After that it was quick trip to West Edmonton Mall, the grocery store to replenish the shelves for Francesca and then we dropped her off and were on our way home. When we got home I thought I would assemble my new toy and go for a test spin. But after opening the box, looking at the parts and the instructions, I decided it was best left for another day. The instructions look like the ones you get when you buy something from Ikea, a pile of materials are shown on the floor and then the next diagram shows the two people displaying the completed item like Vanna White off of Wheel of Fortune. We'll give it a whirl again tonight when I am in a better frame of mind.

Today's workout is a 2,000 metre swim and a 45 minute tempo ride. Shouldn't be a problem to get that in, but the rest of the week will be a challenge as it is going to be busy. Year end numbers need to be published, we have meetings with the Town, and I have a review of an area of our operations with a potential contractor. Somehow I will have to get some meaningful workouts squeezed in amongst all that.

Have a great day!

No comments: