Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Some assembly required....

Yes, I am referring to the new Tacx flow wind trainer I bought. Thank goodness for pictures and websites as I did finally manage to get the thing together. I still have to set up the computer part, but the technical things are more to my liking. I'm an accountant, not an engineer!

Anyway I am hoping that tonight I will get to take it for a test ride.

The workout yesterday was a 2,150 metre swim, which consisted of 250 metre warm up, 250 metre with the pull buoy, and then a ladder set of 100, 200, 300, 400, 300, 200, 100 metre swims with 15 seconds rest between each. Followed up with a short cool down of 50 metres. Probably not enough but I was pressed for time. Plus the pool still has a few "resolutioners", so I was anxious to get out as quickly as possible.

The evening session was a 40 km bike ride at relatively high intensity. Time was just over 1 hour and 10 minutes. Strangely I am beginning to like the bike a little more than I used to. I am having no trouble knocking off these hour training rides where before I was looking for any excuse possible to get off after 40 minutes or so. This is a good sign as I really need to get some major saddle time if I expect to improve this season.

Recently I have been going through the archives to try and piece to together all the marathons I have ran. It is starting to come together, but there are still a few holes. I know I have an old training log somewhere that had a lot of the race times logged in there. Interesting numbers in some of the ones I did find. In 1990 I ran the Voyageur Marathon in Massey, Ontario. My time at the half was 1:19 and I finished in 2:52. I remember that one vividly as I was focusing on the tops of a guy's socks ahead of me. At the half he did a bit of a stutter step when he picked up his water and I lost focus for a split second. From there it was all down hill and I remember walking and running to make it in from 18 miles on. What's that? The older I get the better I used to be...

Have a great day!

1 comment:

Love2Run said...

Quite the gear you need to stay in shape. Your link didn't work but I found this to whet your appetite (but you probably already know about it).

TACX Multi Player VR Trainer
New Virtual Reality Trainer offers the possibility of racing against 5 opponents simultaneously anywhere in the world over the internet.

In your dreams only a few years ago.